Monday, January 30, 2012

Sandcastles

January 2004

Stretched for miles, white sand, almost endless
Beautiful blue water, white caps breaking upon the shore
Seagulls and pelicans diving for their morning meal
And children playing in sun glistened sand

I sit myself down watching the encroaching tide
Sand between my toes, my fingers beginning to dig
Just close enough to waters edge so sand and water can mix
As the castle wall begins to appear, form where none was before

The moat is built, tunnels appear and anticipation dwells within
For the race is on as the tide creeps ever closer
Tempting the fates, can the work be completed
Before the onrush of water leaves the castle all crumbled?

Filled with excitement as the castle is finished
I sit and watch, feeling content, body all covered with sand
The waves move relentlessly upon the outer wall – the final battle between water and sand
Walls and towers crumbling into the deposited water – the castle has no reprieve

Within a few moments the castle and all structures are gone
Nothing left but faint remains of a fun filled day
A Child’s day, when imagination soared
When time and mind did not intervene

As I look upon the day’s play
I cannot but notice that only the form is gone
The sand that shaped my little world had not gone anywhere
Only the form had changed, nothing lost

The Child Heart of Life understands
Waves and ocean, water is the essence
So too, beach and castle, sand is the essence
One Awareness (Life), many forms

No comments:

Post a Comment